This access statement does not provide opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests.
Accessibility Guide and Access Statement for Ceolwulph Cottage
The online Accessibility Guide can be viewed here
The Access Statement is also available here for download and printing
Ceolwulph Cottage is a stone built property laid out over 2 floors situated within the Conservation area of Warkworth in Northumberland. Ceolwulph Cottage has 3 bedrooms, all located on the upper floor. Access to the property is via a level, private driveway with private parking in front of the cottage. Access to the front door entrance is via 3 steps. Access to the rear door is via a wooden walkway down the side of the property which comprises of 3 steps up and down over the walkway and a further 3 steps up to the rear door entrance.
- There is full information about Ceolwulph Cottage on the website at
- Our location is NE65 0BF. Full directions are sent out by us, the owners, with your key collection instructions once your holiday is paid in full. Alternatively, they are available upon request.
- Enquiries and bookings can be made via email to email@example.com, via telephone on +44 (0)7896248469 or online at www.ceowluphcottage/availability-3
- The nearest bus stop is located approximately 350 metres from Ceolwulph Cottage.This bus stop is called ‘Warkworth Beal Bank Top’. Walking from Beal Bank Top bus stop to the cottage involves a short downhill walk of approximately 100 metres.
- An alternative bus stop can be found in the centre of Warkworth village.This bus stop is called ‘Warkworth Market Place’ and it is approximately 500 metres away from Ceolwulph Cottage. The route is level from this bus stop to Ceolwulph Cottage.
- The nearest train station is approximately 3.5 miles north of Ceolwulph Cottage.The station is referred to as ‘Alnmouth for Alnwick’. The station offers a main line service as part of the main North East Coastline route. A full train timetable can be found at www.nationalrail.co.uk Accessible taxis are available locally at the station.
- The nearest airport is Newcastle International Airport which is located approximately 25 miles south of Warkworth. Taxis are readily available from the airport.
- The nearest shops are approximately 300 to 500 metres away on the high street in the centre of Warkworth village. The local ‘Village Store’ sells essentials like milk, a small range of good quality groceries, wine, newspapers, local produce, etc. Please be aware that whilst the shop opens early, it closes around 5:00 to 5:30pm according to the season.
- Groceries can be pre-ordered prior to arrival from an independent local supplier ‘Food Heaven’ via telephone on 01670 352 287 or online at www.foodheaven.co.uk/ Or alternatively, via the larger online grocery store providers:
Tesco, ASDA and Sainsbury’s
Be sure to enter your mobile number when ordering in case of delivery queries/difficulties.
- A welcome pack is placed in the cottage ready for your arrival and contains tea, coffee, hot chocolate, traditional baked biscuits, milk, bread, butter, bottled water (sparkling or still), sweets and fruit juice for children, a treat for pets, local newspaper, dishcloth and sponge scourer, washing powder tablets (2), dishwasher tablets (approx 8) and a ‘Living North’ magazine on a periodic basis.In addition, a supply of aluminium foil, cling film, kitchen roll and general kitchen cupboard items such as washing-up liquid and cleaning materials are available within the cottage for your use.
Arrival, Car Parking and Key Collection
- There is dedicated private parking for 2 cars immediately in front of the cottage.
- The car parking is level and unloading is direct to the property.
- Additional cars can be parked at the nearest public parking area, situated by the riverbank, approximately 90 metres from the cottage.There are currently no parking charges in Warkworth village.
- The key for the front door is in a coded key safe.Details of the location and code will be sent to you prior to your holiday.
- There are no streetlights around the cottage, so an external light is left on at the property entrance for arrivals in the dark.
Entrance to Property
- The front entrance to the property has 3 steps (18 cm high, 105 cm wide and45 cm deep). These steps lead to the front door.
- The front door is a push opening, hinged, 800mm wide wooden door with a lever handle with a standard security ‘hook lock’ and an internal security chain. The keyhole lock is 100 cm from the bottom of the front door
- As well as an outside light (beside the entrance door) being lit, an internal light is also left on for arrivals in the dark.
- Prior to arrival a telephone number is provided to the lead guest in case of difficulty with arrival.
- After the first initial entry, rear door entry is possible after retrieval of the full set of cottage keys located within the cottage. Access to the rear door, is via the wooden walkway at the side of the cottage and requires 3 steps up onto the walkway and 3 steps down(approximately 18 cm high steps) plus a further 2 steps (22 cm high) up from the patio to the rear entrance door.
Hallway, Stairs, Landing and Passageways
- Level access can be found throughout the accommodation at the ground floor level.
- Upon entry to the property, initial access to all other areas is via the level oak floored hallway (1.10 metres wide at its narrowest area and approximately 6 metres long).
- Situated left off the hallway is the downstairs WC/Cloakroom and lounge.
- At the end of the hallway, lies the kitchen and dining area are and the conservatory adjacent to the dining area.
- From the hallway there are 13 carpeted stairs (with handrail) leading to the landing, the 3 bedrooms, ensuite and family bathroom.
- Carpeted stairway comprises of 9 straight stairs, each 20 cm high, 23 cm deep and 67 cm wide and a further 4 steps, that make a 90 degree turn to the top of the stairs onto the landing.
- Landing is 93 cm wide with a small stand alone decorative unit (20cm deep) upon it.
- The single door, off the hallway, into the lounge is 80 cm wide.
- The double doors, from the dining room into the lounge, open up to create an entrance that is approximately 1.3 metres wide.
- The lounge has a level oak flooring with a large heavy rug upon it.
- Some of the furniture can be moved should it be required.
- Two fabric sofas, one seating 3 people, the other seating 2 people. Seat height is 45 cm.
- Widescreen 4K Smart TV with Freeview. Blu-ray player with built in Wi-Fi to give full web browsing capacity and ability to network to Smart TV (with remote control units)
- Playstation 2 games console and game with wired control units in TV cabinet.
- Cottage telephone with free incoming calls and outgoing calls to 999 emergency service number and 0800 and 0870 free call numbers. For all other outgoing calls prior arrangement must be made with cottage owner (at least 48hrs required).
- Free Wi-Fi via a broadband internet router located on the windowsill.
- Lighting via a central pendant chandelier lighting unit, two table lamps and one free standing standard lamp. Two lamps having push-switches on the bulb holder and one lamp with an in-line and direct switch. All electrical items are accessible.
- Heating is via a radiator and a living flame coal-effect gas fire, in a stone fireplace, with push-in and turn ignition switch dial.
- Guest Information file upon lounge coffee table 45 cm high.
Open Plan Kitchen/Dining Room
- A level ceramic-tiled floor within the kitchen area leading onto a level oak floor within the dining area.
- Kitchen area flooring is light coloured and the dining area flooring is medium oak coloured.
- Access from the dining area to the conservatory via glazed French UPVC doors and a small raised wooden plinth 0.5 cm high plus the height of a standard UPVC door frame plinth.
- No rugs or carpets within the open plan kitchen /dining room.
- Accessible light switches and sockets.
- Kitchen work surfaces are of standard height (92 cm high).
- Ceramic glass hob and electric, range style, fan assisted cooker with accessible lever style controls and a pull down hinged oven door
- Several cupboards available at floor level with side opening hinged doors and curved handles plus sliding drawers units at floor level.
- Integrated fridge, a separate integrated freezer, integrated dishwasher and a stand alone front loading combination washer/dryer machine, all located underneath the kitchen work surface.
- Microwave on the kitchen worksurface.
- Kitchen area lighting is by halogen, ceiling recessed, light bulbs.
- Additional lighting in the dining area via a central pendant chandelier.
- Heating via 2 radiators in kitchen/dining area.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms fitted.
- Dining for 5 people, dining chairs have high backs and no arm rests. Seat height is 50 cm.
- A large sideboard 80 cm high in the dining area hosting 2 table lamps with low energy bulbs and in-line switches.
- A hi-fi unit with DAB radio/Bluetooth/CD player, 2 speakers and an auxiliary i-pod docking station.
- A selection of CDs plus toys and games within the sideboard.
- Bookcase 88 cm high with a range of fictional and non-fictional books
- Large conservatory accessed internally from the dining room area via double French UPVC entrance doors, each door being 60 cm wide.
- Alternatively, external access to the conservatory from the garden/patio area through the double UPVC French door entrance (each door 60 cm wide, opening up to an approximate clearance of 1.2 metres when both door open).*Note: External access from the garden/patio area requires 2 steps up, each 22 cm high.
- Level laminate flooring with no rugs and 1 dirt trapper entrance mat.
- Wicker suite comprising of two wicker armchairs and one 2-seater wicker settee plus 2 additional small cane chairs with arm rests. All seat heights are 48 cm.
- Heating via natural sunlight and an electric convector heater.
- Lighting via 2 table lamps with in-line switches and low energy bulbs, 2 central pendant ceiling lights with low energy bulbs and a free standing lamp with a low energy bulb.
- Lighting level is very good during day and night.
- A range of tourist information leaflets within a display box on windowsill 60 cm high.
- There are 3 bedrooms on the first floor, all accessed via the stairs and landing.
- Door width is 72 cm wide.
- King size bed 5ft wide by 6ft 3”. Bed height is 66 cm high from floor to top of mattress.
- 2 bedside cabinets (80 cm high) with a beside table lamp upon each and 1 DAB radio/alarm clock.
- Built-in wardrobe (behind double wooden doors, each door 75 cm wide) with accessible hanging rail 1.9 metres high and hanging shelving and x2 free standing linen storage units
- Dressing table 75 cm high with digital TV/integrated DVD player mounted upon it (with remote control unit)
- Largest free space (next to bed) clear of door and furniture is 2.6 metres by 1.25 cm.
- Carpeted level, light coloured flooring with 2 rugs, one either side of the bed.
- Lighting via 2 bedside table lamps (in-line switches) plus 1 central pendant chandelier, all with low energy bulbs.
- Lighting level is very good day and night.
- Clearance at end of bed to wall is 1.06 metres.
- Clearance at side of bed is 1.25 metres (wardrobe side of room) and 65 cm (window side of room).
- Although there is sufficient space around the bed, it is limited for wheelchair users.
- Heating via 1 radiator.
- Adjacent to the master bedroom, there is an EnSuite shower room with a WC, washbasin and double shower cubicle unit with electric power shower (see later Section: “Shower Rooms, Bathrooms and Toilets”).
- Door width is 72 cm.
- Two single beds (3ft) that can be converted to one superking sized bed (6ft x 6ft 3”)
- Bed height (floor to top of mattress) is 66 cm.
- Bedside table 62 cm high with DAB radio/alarm clock and lamp (push switch on the bulb holder) upon it.
- 3 drawers chest unit with pull handles. From the floor, bottom drawer is 30 cm high, middle drawer is 50 cm high and top drawer is 70 cm high,
- Carpeted level flooring. Light coloured.
- Stand alone wardrobe with accessible hanging rail 1.6 metres high.
- Stand alone bedroom chair without arm rests.
- One central pendent ceiling light with low energy bulbs.
- Room is not accessible for wheelchair user due to limited space around the beds.
- Door width is 72 cm.
- One single bed (3ft).Bed height from floor to top of mattress is 66 cm.
- Standalone wardrobe with upper shelf 167 cm and base shelf 48 cm high from floor, x2 sliding mesh drawers 23 cm and 40 cm high from floor and x1 accessible hanging rail 1.6 metres high.
- Stand alone dressing table with alarm clock and mirror upon it.Table height approximately 70 cm.
- Carpeted level, light coloured flooring with 1 rug.
- Lighting is by a single ceiling pendent light plus one small lamp (in-line and direct switch).
- Not accessible for wheelchair user due to limited space around the bed.
Shower Rooms, Bathroom and Toilets
En Suite Shower Room
- Leading off the Master Bedroom, on the same level, is the En Suite Shower Room.
- Door width is 72 cm.
- Stand alone double shower cubicle approximately 75 cm wide and 110 cm long with power shower.Step up from floor to shower base is 22 cm high (including depth of shower cubicle frame and plinth).
- Shower door width is 49 cm.
- Toilet seat height is 43 cm.Flush is a push button at top of cistern.
- Space beside the toilet is 30 cm to the left and 105 cm to the right.
- Washbasin 79 cm high with single lever tap.
- Heated, wall mounted, towel rail with rails from 75 cm to 170 cm high.
- One small slatted square wooden platform approximately 0.5 cm high for entering and exiting the shower cubicle.
- One small shower room towel mat supplied (optional use)
- Lighting via ceiling recessed halogen bulbs which is good night and day.
- Light coloured level ceramic tile flooring and light coloured tiled walls.
- Heating in the bathroom is via the heated towel rail.
- The family bathroom is based on the first floor and has a level ceramic tiled floor.
- Door width is 72 cm.
- Built in whirlpool bath with electric power shower over and a glass shower screen (screen can be swung back or forth to allow better access to the bath). Bath height is 60 cm.
- The shower over the bath has a flexible hose which is threaded through a soap holder unit; however the shower head can be lowered to the floor of the bath itself.
- Toilet seat height is 43 cm.Flush is a push button at the top of the cistern.
- Space beside toilet is 72 cm to the right and 110 cm from toilet to closed door.
- Hand washbasin 83 cm high with glass shelf and mirror above it.
- Heated, wall mounted, towel rail with rails from 72 cm to 168 cm high.
- Wall mounted bathroom cabinet, approximately 130 above the floor level.
- Bath mats: 1 non-slip mat for bath and 1 small towel mat supplied (optional use).
- Lighting is via halogen ceiling recessed light bulbs and is very good night and day. Plus bathroom mirror with ‘light on’ option.
- Light coloured level ceramic tile flooring and light coloured tiled walls
- Heating in the bathroom is via the heated towel rail.
WC / Cloakroom
- Located on the ground floor is the downstairs toilet with a push button flush located at the top of the cistern.Toilet seat height is 44 cm.
- Door width is 80 cm and opens out into the hallway.
- Wash hand basin is 83 cm high with mirror above it.
- Space in front of toilet to wall is 64 cm and to the left is the hand washbasin.
- Space in front of washbasin to door and wall is 90 cm.
- Approximate width of clear space in front of toilet and washbasin is 125 cm by 64 cm.
- Clear space in the WC/ Cloakroom is 125 cm by 64 cm.
- Level oak flooring with pedestal mat.Colour of flooring is medium oak.
- Lighting is via a central pendant ceiling light which is good day and night.
- There is an automatic washer/dryer machine located in the kitchen, next to the sink cupboard, and housed beneath the kitchen work surface 92 cm high.
- The washer/dryer is front loading.Hinged washer door is 50 cm above the floor level and has turn dials to set the washing/drying programmes.
- The enclosed exterior at the rear of the property can be accessed via the conservatory double doors. There are 2 steps down to the patio and lawned garden. Each step is 22 cm high (top step is 55 cm deep and bottom step is 30 cm deep)
- Enclosed garden with a 6 feet high fence and integral 2.5 feet high push opening hinged gate that can be opened via the push down lever/closing mechanism.
- Small lawn with flower and shrub borders
- Small furnished patio area with 1 circular metal table, umbrella and 5 accompanying chairs (seat height is 45 cm) with arm rests. There are 2 additional reclining garden chairs, with arm rests, stored in the shed.
- 2 sun loungers (stored in the shed).
- A key for the shed can be found on the full key set located in the cottage.
- Heating is provided by central heating throughout the property with exception in the conservatory where an electric convector heater and sunlight is the heat source.
- A landline telephone is available in the cottage which accepts all incoming calls but will only allow outgoing calls free of charge to 999 emergency number and ‘freephone telephone numbers beginning ‘0800’. For all other outgoing calls prior arrangement must be made with cottage owner (at least 48hrs required).
- Mobile phone reception is adequate in the cottage, however periodically it can experience patchy reception in certain parts of the cottage. Nearest public telephone is approximately 500 metres away, located in the centre of Warkworth high street, opposite Fenwick’s Gallery.
- It is your responsibility to evacuate the cottage in the event of a fire (fire risk assessed). Please refer to fire safety advice contained within the Guest Information file within the cottage.
- Up to 2 well behaved dogs are allowed. They must be over 1 year old and fully house trained.
- Ceolwulph Cottage is a no smoking environment. Guests may use the patio area in the garden if they wish to smoke.
- In case of minor cuts and accidents there is a first aid kit in the dining room cupboard.
- Evacuation procedures are provided in the Guest Information file.
Cottage Address and Cottage Owner Contact Details:
Owner: Yvonne Williams
Mobile (Yvonne): 0789 6248469
Local Public Transport: Nearest train station is ‘Alnmouth for Alnwick’ station. Further details can be obtained at www.nationalrail.co.uk
Bus service operating to and from Warkworth is: Arriva X18 and Arriva X15 service
Please contact the owner if you have any queries whatsoever about the accessibility of Ceolwulph Cottage or any elements within it.